Monday 24 July 2023

Transition from Landline to 5G Mobile Broadband - how to easily test your signal.

I have ignored this blog for too long. So I am reviving it, with this, the latest addition to my household. This is an amazing piece of kit is called SMART 5G HUB. As usual with me I will give you the whole journey, because I talk and write a lot.

Where shall I begin? Well, as the kids will tell you, I have been in the game of IT, from the days I got windows one. As an astrologer we probably write and draw more than most. Our wheels are like a weather maps. So they are updating non-stop 24 hours a day. Communication then is vital. I remember trying to do this with a premium fax line in the first days of Citystats, my stock market astrology service. People paid to get the reports.

Technology is then part of my DNA, and it is part of Astrology. For example I am using the Sun transit my Uranus in Leo to do all this. Look up your astrology at astro-seek. 

Here it goes. My contract with EE is expiring so I got cracking. Lone behold, EE have been working on the terrible situation with getting everyone on the internet. Some rural areas are not able to have wires or cabling put in. With emergency and banking all on the internet, it has become critical. So they created 4G broadband in 2018.

You probably are a bit confused. If you are reading this on your mobile, then you probably are using a free broadband connection. Most probably, it is first connecting via a WiFi signal to your phone. That box then takes your signal and pumps it down the old copper wire to the telephone exchange who then do the rest. 

But imagine that the journey was changed. I am putting in simple terms, as that is what I do. That is why I am a salesman. I simplify. So what happens to your signal with this new box? It gets your WiFi signal and sends it to a very fast tower not too far away. 

The speed that the signal goes from this box, to the new 5G masts, as they are called, (and they aren't as ugly as the old towers), is the main issue. The problem is that when you look up the signal in your area, it can't tell you what is going on inside your home 🏡. 

I want you to try this. Disconnect from the WiFi right now. Wait and see the signal from your mobile service to show. If it shows 4G then you are in luck. If it doesn't, move away from a thick wall. Stand next to the window. You need to check to see if you get what they call 4G. The term 4G is a marketing word. 

If you have 4G showing, then you need to check how fast it is. Download or Google, Speed Test. I use Ookla Speedtest. This app will tell you exactly what the speed is. There is a speed guage ⏲️. 

This is where EE and other providers don't get their messaging right. I told them this morning to ask all their sales team to do this. Once the user sees that they have 50 megabytes per second or mps, then your location is awesome. It means you can get this box. 

What the box has done for me, is it has made me future proof all the way from 50mps (megabytes per second) to 5gbs (that 5 gigabytes per second). 

A film is about one gigabyte of data. So yeah that is unbelievable. But if you have ten people or ten gadgets accessing 500 mps each, as streaming games and other things, then you will need that. 

Most people will never need it. But it's nice to know. Also there is the WiFi signal in the house. This box gives you WiFi 6 signal. So all your new laptops will be able to use it. The WiFi signal is as important. 

I don't know whether you realise this, but it's obvious what the next thing that they want to get people buy, will be to have 5G to manage everything from your car signals to what is expiring in your fridge and medicine cabinet. The new packaging will send signals to the box. They call this, The Internet of Things. That means the internet will connect all the other non computer devices or things to the network. 

So you need to get this box. If you don't, you will basically not get security updates quickly and worry about all that. I actually managed to pay less than my existing contract and reduce it to one year. So to sum up, switch off the WiFi on your phone. Measure the 4G. If you have it inside your home, then Bob's your uncle 👍.


No comments: